Gooseberry and strawberry crumble

Just the other day I was complaining about how difficult it is to get hold of gooseberries in North London, and how much I love them, when a good friend of mine took my complaints to heart and gave me a punnet of gorgeous gooseberries as a present / to shut me up. Well she is now the patron saint of gooseberries in my house, and long and fruitful may her beatification be! This recipe is based on a timely Hugh Fearnley-Stanley-Wittingstall one from The Guardian, but I've made it into an oaty crumble, just because I love crumble almost as much as I love gooseberries.

Ingredients
  • 1 punnet (about 200g) of gooseberries
  • 1 punnet (about 200g) of strawberries
  • 75g of caster sugar
  • The zest of 1 lemon
  • 75g of plain flour (or you could use almond flour for extra sumptuousness - I will next time)
  • 75g of oats (I used rolled oats - I'm not sure if that's important)
  • 75g of unsalted butter
  • 75g of brown sugar
  • A handful of pecan nuts
  • Butter for greasing
  • Creme fraiche, to serve
     
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
  2. Cut the stalks off the gooseberries and strawberries, cut the strawberries into halves, and mix the fruit in a bowl with the lemon zest and caster sugar. Leave to rest while you get on with everything else (Hugh calls this 'mascerating').
  3. Use the extra butter to grease a pie dish that will fit all the fruit in it. Or use a non-stick dish instead.
  4. Cut the 75g of butter into cubes and put it into a bowl with the flour and oats. Rub it all together with your hands until you have sort of breadcrumby little lumpettes.
  5. Stir the brown sugar into the oaty mixture and you get crumble.
  6. Break the pecans into bits and stir those into the crumble too.
  7. Put the 'mascerated' fruit into the dish and spread the crumble on top.
  8. Bake for 30 minutes. You'll know it's done because it will smell like heaven and be starting to brown on top.
  9. Serve with the creme fraiche and thankful prayers to St. Helen of the Cross.
P.S. My crumble filling turned out to be fairly liquid, which (as a critic observed) was probably because Hugh's recipe was for an open flan, in which the extra liquid would probably evaporate. Also I used more strawberries than I should have. But the liquid in question tasted like some kind of Olympian ambrosia, so it wasn't altogether unwelcome.